FEATURE REQUEST

Feature Requests for RP Image, API & Theme Feed

2 people are following

Hi all. I have a few feature requests that I would like to know if can be added when you guys have time. I'll try to list them from low to high complexity:

1. 12 hour time format for particle clock (and probably all screensavers with time).
  2. Ability to setup USB connection for connecting to PC and WIFI for loading custom URL when the PC is down/off. I've found that the USB connection is way more stable in my home, but I would like to use the custom URL feature for when the ModBros app is not running on the PC.
  3. Add name of the currently focused app on the *main screen* to the feed. The theme can decide what to do with this. This would allow a theme to be created that updates based on the game/app the user is currently using. Maybe the background changes to the game cover or the theme uses an additional api via javascript to grab the person's stats/achievements for the game. The Games DB has a pretty cool api for game assets and info.
  4. Ability to send theme a data string via API. Maybe something like /api/send/{type}/{value}. I imagine the data would show up to the theme in the feed somehow. I have a huge screen in my case and I'm hoping to have my theme do a little more than just HW stats. This is mainly for the ability to show off when people come over and on-the-fly updates to what's displayed on screen. Possible use cases:
    1. Send a Youtube/Vimeo URL to mobro for fullscreen display and/or for theme to detect and do something with. For example, if my theme detects a new youtube url in the feed then maybe it plays the video in the bottom half the screen while showing stats in the top half.   
      /api/send/youtube/{video key)
    2. Send URL for display. This could be a webpage or image/gif.  When theme detects new item in feed it can decide what to do with it. 
      /api/send/url/{link} (For urls the api call might have to be done differently so it's escaped properly, but you know what I mean.)
    3. Send text string for theme to do whatever with. This will give more flexibility. Maybe the theme has a section to display a Steam profile and you just want to send the steam name to lookup.  /api/send/text/{key:value} | In this example /api/send/text/steam:{username}.

I understand if some of the above suggestions are out of scope, but I have this great monitor in my case and I can't do a lot with mobro besides HW stats. I feel this is the main drawback for mobro compared to having the display connected directly to the GPU. Some of the requests above give mobro and themes more flexibility to come up with some cool displays.

Replies 1 - 2 (2)

Thanks for the suggestions @RoyalTea! :)
Regarding those:

1. Yes, that's definitely something we could add pretty easily I guess.
    Consider it noted down for a future release :) No fixed ETA tough
  2. While possible, that's a pretty niche use case you got there
    We already have lots of other tasks piling up, so unfortunately that's not something we will look at anytime soon
  3. That's something we've already discussed ourselves as well. E.g. switching between themes based on the running application. We haven't started working on it, but that's something we might explore in the future
    More displayable information (weather or e.g. game stats like you already mentioned) is something we're basically already working at.
    we're currently rebuilding the foundation on how stats/metrics are handled, so we can easily add all kinds of them later on
  4. That's a cool idea and I definitely see that being useful
    But again, we're currently already focused on basically rebuilding the underlying foundation to allow more and basically all kinds of values to be displayed in a theme. Alongside with a complete re-skin of the desktop application
    Until that's finally done, we won't start working on any other major feature, like such an API would be

Sounds good @Seraksab. Thanks for replying. Glad you guys are already thinking about having mobro track the current application. That would be huge. 

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.