QUESTION

5G and 2.4G

3 people are following

Is is possible to have my raspberry pi 3 model B monitor my computer that is on the 5G band? I have two home networks for the same router, one on 2.4 and one on 5G. The hardware of the the raspberry pi 3 only lets it connect to the 2.4 Ghz network, but I'd prefer to keep my computer on the 5G band since it's a bit faster. Is there anyway they can communicate on different network bands or do I have to keep putting my computer on the 2.4 Ghz network? I have tried merging the SSIDs so there is only one home network and the router decides what to put on the 5G band and what not to, but I unfortunately can't do this anymore as it is incompatible with many of my smart home products that require a specific band of JUST 2.4 G. It seems feasible since they are technically on the same network but the SSIDs will be slightly different since the “-5G” is appended at the end to one of them. Thoughts?

Replies 1 - 6 (6)

Hi @L13S 

The SSIDs of your wifi networks don't really matter.
If the devices on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are connected to the same network (which should be the case per default) you're good and MoBro should work just fine :)

Seraksab

Hi @L13S 

The SSIDs of your wifi networks don't really matter.
If the devices on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are connected to the same network (which should be the case per default) you're good and MoBro should work just fine :)

It is not working unfortunately. An SSID is required when configuring the Modbro Raspberry Pi, so I am entering the 2.4ghz network SSID which it successfully connects to. All works fine if my computer is on the 2.4 network but as soon as I connect my computer to the 5G network instead the connection is lost and never reestablishes. If I enter the 5G network (networkname-5G) when configuring the pi it is never able to connect. I have allowed the app through the firewall, but as of now my pi only connects to my computer if they are both on the exact same 2.4 G network

Yes a SSID is required for clients to connect to the network of course.
What I meant is, that it doesn't matter what that SSID is (like how you named your network). Also having different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5G is fine, as it doesn't change how the network is actually configured in the background.

The Raspberry Pi 3 only supports 2.4G wifi, so it wont be able to connect to 5G.

Could you open the settings page of your router and check the Wifi settings (also the advanced ones if there are any) of your two networks to see if any of them have ‘Wireless Isolation', ‘SSID Isolation’ or something like that enabled.
If so, you will need to disable this.

a6fd4714-ce00-4bad-8f83-369d015e4673.ee851716.png
158c7c67-d3c1-4ea2-8fa8-952fbd57b7a0.ee851716.png

Seraksab

Yes a SSID is required for clients to connect to the network of course.
What I meant is, that it doesn't matter what that SSID is (like how you named your network). Also having different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5G is fine, as it doesn't change how the network is actually configured in the background.

The Raspberry Pi 3 only supports 2.4G wifi, so it wont be able to connect to 5G.

Could you open the settings page of your router and check the Wifi settings (also the advanced ones if there are any) of your two networks to see if any of them have ‘Wireless Isolation', ‘SSID Isolation’ or something like that enabled.
If so, you will need to disable this.

I've searched all over my router configuration (I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000) and isolation of any kind doesn't seem to mentioned anywhere. What's interesting is I am able to successfully ping the raspberry pi on the 2.4 G while on the 5G connection, but modbro does not work. I've attached a screenshot of being on both bands. That would seem to indicate an application issue, what else can I do?

Maybe Windows is using a different firewall zone for the 5G network? Since they are actually different networks, it is possible you can find the answer in the Windows firewall.

Bobtb

Maybe Windows is using a different firewall zone for the 5G network? Since they are actually different networks, it is possible you can find the answer in the Windows firewall.

SOLVED! I'm dumb and had the 5G network settings to not discoverable on the network profile. All works now. Thank you everyone for your help

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.