QUESTION

Any way of installing it on Android 4.4.4?

posted by
Leon
in MoBro Android .
2 people are following

Hi,
Is it somehow possible to install MoBro on Android 4.4.4?

Replies 1 - 9 (9)

Hi @LeonPro12 

Unfortunately not :/ 
Android 5.0 is required as a minimum for the app.

We did try already to get it to run on Android 4.4, but the app does rely on the webview component built into Android to actually display the MoBro page.
And since Android 4.4 is now already 7 years old, this component is equally as old and doesn't support a lot of modern features which our MoBro themes make use of. As a consequence none of the current themes can be displayed in the app on Android 4.4

Seraksab

Hi @LeonPro12 

Unfortunately not :/ 
Android 5.0 is required as a minimum for the app.

We did try already to get it to run on Android 4.4, but the app does rely on the webview component built into Android to actually display the MoBro page.
And since Android 4.4 is now already 7 years old, this component is equally as old and doesn't support a lot of modern features which our MoBro themes make use of. As a consequence none of the current themes can be displayed in the app on Android 4.4

Is it possible to update the WebView (I have root)? Or is there any other way to get MoBro on the Galaxy Ace S5830i?

Not that I know of. It is directly built into the system and therefore still based on chrome 33 for Android 4.4.4.

In Android 5.0 the webview has been moved to a separate APK so starting from that version it can be updated separately to the Android platform.

But if you really want to use that phone you can kinda go around that limitation. Just install an up to date browser on the phone and then check for the IP address of your PC within your network.
Then open the browser and got to: [PC_IP_ADDRESS]:42100?uuid=android1&name=GalaxyAceS5830i

(basically same method as described here for the Raspberry Pi: Raspberry DIY setup)

If your PC has a static IP within your network you could just save that bookmark to the home screen on your phone and just open that to view the MoBro theme

Seraksab

Not that I know of. It is directly built into the system and therefore still based on chrome 33 for Android 4.4.4.

In Android 5.0 the webview has been moved to a separate APK so starting from that version it can be updated separately to the Android platform.

But if you really want to use that phone you can kinda go around that limitation. Just install an up to date browser on the phone and then check for the IP address of your PC within your network.
Then open the browser and got to: [PC_IP_ADDRESS]:42100?uuid=android1&name=GalaxyAceS5830i

(basically same method as described here for the Raspberry Pi: Raspberry DIY setup)

If your PC has a static IP within your network you could just save that bookmark to the home screen on your phone and just open that to view the MoBro theme

Thx for the help but when I do this it just displays a part of the site with no information.

Which browser are you using and whats the version of it?

Seraksab

Which browser are you using and whats the version of it?

I tried it with several browser like the newest version of Firefox, Chrome, etc. and on every browser the same thing happens. The weird thing is that it doesn't show up in the MoBro app on the pc as a device and when I choose a different theme other than dubbadhar or dubbadhar-red it only shows a black screen with nothing.

That's odd. Since I don't have a phone with with that version around myself, I've installed chrome 81 on the Android 4.4 emulator.
It shows up as connected device just fine and also all of the themes work properly.

If it doesn't show up as a device in the MoBro desktop app for you, how did you change the theme?
Also are you using the latest version (beta5) ?

Seraksab

That's odd. Since I don't have a phone with with that version around myself, I've installed chrome 81 on the Android 4.4 emulator.
It shows up as connected device just fine and also all of the themes work properly.

If it doesn't show up as a device in the MoBro desktop app for you, how did you change the theme?
Also are you using the latest version (beta5) ?

Weird... I reinstalled Chrome and now it crashes at startup. I changed the theme by choosing it on the localhost. Here's how it looks: https://i.ibb.co/BNRSM0W/IMG-20201026-165251.jpg

Hmm.. could you please check for the exact version of your installed chrome?

In chrome just open the menu in the top right → Settings → About Chrome → Application version
Should be something like e.g. 88.0.4297.3

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.