REPORT AN ISSUE

Cooked my Pi

2 people are following

After running this for several days on my test bench, I started noticing it crashing / rebooting on it's own. Woke up this morning to see it stuck in a bit of a reboot loop with the Mobros logo on the display. The Pi was HOT. I could literally smell the heat (you know when a board / chip gets too hot it emits that circuit smell? Not the magic black smoke like a cap dying but just heating components). I did add two HWinfo sensors to one of the themes (CPU FAN speeds), not sure if that matters.

Replies 1 - 3 (3)

Hi @narkotic 

Sorry to hear that.
But first off a few questions so we can get a better grasp of the situation:

• which Raspberry Pi model did you use?
  • do you have a heatsink or other type of cooling mounted on your Pi?
  • is your Pi in a closed case or some sort of enclosure without air flow?
  • which theme were you using?
  • did you check the temperature on the Pi by chance?

If you want to check the temperature while its running you can just open ‘<IP-OF-RASPBERRY>/api/temp’ in a browser to get the current temperature.

Also did you notice any overlay of a thermometer icon on the theme? 
Like these ones: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/warning-icons.md

I think it's OK. I left it unplugged for a few hours, plugged it back in but it wasn't able to contact the server. The app crashed on the server as well (maybe that is why it appeared to be in a loop, not broken but just trying to connect?)

It's a Pi 3B, so far no case, has a HAT on top for the unique display I'm using, out in the open. No lightening icon (I'm familiar with that as I have another Pi I use for other duties that always runs low on voltage). I didn't take the temp but will if it happens again.

Alright, glad to hear that the Pi is still working.

Yes, if the windows application on the server is no longer running the Pi is in a loop where it will try to reconnect from time to time. That is intended behaviour.

Regarding temperature:
Some of the themes (e.g. dubbadhar) make heavy use of charts, graphs, etc. which can be quite CPU intensive on the Pi.
So if you have these themes active for a longer period the Pi will naturally heat up quite a bit.
We recommend to use a heatsink or some other form of cooling in such cases.

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.