QUESTION

How are people powering down their in case pi?

4 people are following

I have a raspberry pi monitoring my pc, and it is powered via USB on my motherboard.

Is there something we could perhaps do with the payload that can automatically send a shutdown signal to the pi, or a hardware mod that will power down somehow?

Replies 1 - 4 (4)

Hey @barrelMonkey,

Our current go-to solution is either use the ERP setting in the BIOS, that will just cut the power to the pi or use a Molex to microUSB cable that has the same effect. 

If you know the IP-Address of the Raspberry-Pi you can send a shutdown signal to it manually. It's [IP-OF-YOUR-PI]/api/shutdown. With this solution it will shut down but the only way to power it back up will be cutting the power of the raspberry for a few seconds. 

We have not implemented that as a standard solution because you also have more edge cases like blue screens, or what happens if the PC is just rebooting and not cutting the power, or maybe you switch the OS while rebooting. 

I've added a momentary button that can power it on and off without cutting the power. 

Sorry. Didn't see that you have it hooked straight to the Mobo. Don't know if a button will work then.

I leave my raspberry pi powered from my USB 2.0 header and run the following command on shutdown via Plink (part of PuTTY SSH) and windows task manager;

vcgencmd display_power 0

when the PC starts up I run another scheduled task which turns the display back on

vcgencmd display_power 1

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.