DISCUSSION

Hyperpixel 4 + Pi Zero 2W - My journey

2 people are following

Hi Everyone,

I decided to buy a Hyperpixel 4 (Rectangle) screen while it was in a sale.

Then while I was tinkering on I found this awesome software and decided to install and make a log of my journey!

Required Hardware:

• Pi Zero W 2 (with SD)
  • Hyperpixel4
  • 1 MicroUSB to USB (A) adapter
  • 1 MiniHDMI to HDMI adapter

The initial setup

I grabbed my Pi and soldered some headers onto it, flashed the image to the SD card and installed the software on my computer while I waited for the Pi to boot.

Upon boot I connected to the AP, configured my settings, rebooted and waited for the Pi to appear back online. <NOTE WARNINGS AT BOTTOM>
The Pi booted up with a black screen.

I proceeded to SSH into the PI and started my configuration.

Where did it go?

Upon running set_root_configurable the PI rebooted and dropped from the wifi.

I scrabbled around in my cable collection and retrieved my USB and HDMI adapters so that I could plug the PI into a keyboard and monitor.

Upon logging on and investigating I found that RFKILL had blocked the wifi. Before I unblocked I ran

raspi-config

and used the easy way to set wifi details :-D

I then ran

rfkill unblock WLAN0    (I think I had the interface name at the end, cant remember properly)

This brought up the wifi and my device connected to my Wifi again! (YAY!)

Hyperpixel Goodness!

So now for the Hyperpixel stuffs!

I knew that the Hyperpixel script would need access to /boot/ so I ran

Set_boot_configurable

I then ran  

git clone https://github.com/pimoroni/hyperpixel4 -b pi3

Note I am using the pi3 branch from github rather than the legacy auto install scripts, I had issues with the auto install.

Next up I performed the following:

cd hyperpixel4
sudo ./install.sh

(note the next command, the rotation is correct for me, you may need to choose a different setting)

hyperpixel-rotate right

I then had a cheeky peek in the /boot/config.txt just to see what changed (I didnt alter anything).

after a

sudo reboot

My screen came up with the lovely ModBros boot logo and it was the correct orientation. (MORE YAY!)

As I was happy I then ran the  

Set_default

The Pi rebooted the ModBros booted up and it automagically connected to my pc showing data!

-Simply Amazing :-)

Replies 1 - 2 (2)

Apologies, all of the text wouldnt fit on one post!

Things I learned:

WARNING!

Any change on the web configuration will wipe some of the Hyperpixel settings and you will need to run a lot of the above again.  

So if you want to choose any screensavers or exotic settings its best to do so at the beginning of the setup procedure.

If you do feel the need to change screensaver or other setting via the web configuration you will need to do the below:

set_root_configurable
Set_boot_configurable

cd hyperpixel4
sudo ./install.sh

(note the next command, the rotation is correct for me, you may need to choose a different setting)

hyperpixel-rotate right

#finally -
set_default

I havent actually checked what the web config script wipes out, I assume its the /boot/config.txt additional lines. I only peeked at them and didnt note them down!

I hope anyone having the same journey finds my little adventure helpful :-)

Thankyou to all the developers and community behind this amazing solution.

Thanks for the tutorial work great !

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.