QUESTION

Please help :) (2 problems)

2 people are following

Hey guys, 

I've been trying to set up a 5 inch screen along with a rasberry pi 3 b to run Mobro. After failing and failing i dived a bit into the config file, and searched up my screen online. I found this link on the screen i own:

https://www.waveshare.net/wiki/5inch_HDMI_LCD

In there, it says I need to add this to the config file:

max_usb_current=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
hdmi_drive=1

(please note, i add these lines in the config.txt file directly. so not in the mobro setup. i have tried this, but it makes no difference to the problem i've been experiencing which i'll explain below.)

When i put this in my config file, it works. It will boot and give me the screen that it doesnt have wifi. Then i change the wifi settings to what should work. A wireless 5ghz wifi network, with a password. Nothing difficult. Then i'll apply this and the rasberry pi resets. This gives me 2 problems:

1. the wifi stil doesnt work? I've tried another wifi network i have (2,4 ghz) and it does nothing. It wont connect.
  2. even worse, the screen settings mess up and it ends up in the screen not working. I've figured out what happens:

In line 4. i give the screen size, along with refresh rate and some other settings. However, there is no “=” between “hdmi_cvt” and the numbers. As soon as i restart the Pi, mobro puts an “=” after the numbers. it makes the config file have the following line:

hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0=hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0

This ofcourse wont work. 

Is there a way to make this work? Even if i do “hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6 0 0 0” it doesnt work. The = needs to not be there for it to work.

Any ideas? I'd be very grateful :)

Thanks!

Replies 1 - 10 (10)

Hi @massive_E 

for the Waveshare screen you linked, you should be good if you just select LCD5-show from the Waveshare section in the the display driver drop down of the configuration wizard.

There should actually be no further manual configuration required

Seraksab

Hi @massive_E 

for the Waveshare screen you linked, you should be good if you just select LCD5-show from the Waveshare section in the the display driver drop down of the configuration wizard.

There should actually be no further manual configuration required

Tbh, i dont really get what you mean by this. Am i supposed to fill in "LCD5-show"

No, you don't have to manually edit any file.
Didn't you already use the UI and the config wizard to configure the Wifi network? Or did you just manually edit the config file for that as well?

Have a look at the page here for a more detailed setup guide.

Another question! Would it be possible to use a 1920x480 screen? Like a long strip screen? I doubt it is because of the resolution but worth to ask! :)

1 like this:

674aa4f4-c2f5-4e59-9e7d-63e485e8bebe.ee851716.jpg

hey @Seraksab , I got the display to work properly now. Thanks for the help. but i'm still struggling with the wifi connection. It still does not work, whatsoever. I've tried it with a new image, a different rasberry pi (a 4 model) and 3 different wifi networks. Kinda lost.

If the screen is supported on the Raspberry Pi, I guess it should work.
But none of us ever actually tested such a screen, so I can't tell you for sure.

So if you end up trying, please report back whether it worked ;)

Regarding wireless:
You could try to disable OverlayFS in the ‘advanced configuration’ step of the wizard.
We've had multiple reports of this issue by now and disabling OverlayFS seems to solve it in most cases.

I'm looking into it, but I couldn't reproduce the issue on my end yet. So sadly there's no fix for that right now..

Seraksab

If the screen is supported on the Raspberry Pi, I guess it should work.
But none of us ever actually tested such a screen, so I can't tell you for sure.

So if you end up trying, please report back whether it worked ;)

Regarding wireless:
You could try to disable OverlayFS in the ‘advanced configuration’ step of the wizard.
We've had multiple reports of this issue by now and disabling OverlayFS seems to solve it in most cases.

I'm looking into it, but I couldn't reproduce the issue on my end yet. So sadly there's no fix for that right now..

I'll give it a go! For both of the things listed. 

However my question then is, how does mobro handle the aspect ratio? seeing as the aspect ratio would be 4:1

Hey @Seraksab i've tried to disable OverlayFS. Made no change. My personal suspicion comes down to: the wifi network has a space in the name. Does that have anything to do with it? I can change it if neccesary. 

massive_E

Hey @Seraksab i've tried to disable OverlayFS. Made no change. My personal suspicion comes down to: the wifi network has a space in the name. Does that have anything to do with it? I can change it if neccesary. 

update! that was indeed it. Solved!

So I just had a look through the code and spaces are indeed filtered out completely ?

Thanks a lot for pointing this out!
Will fix this for the next version.

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.