REPORT AN ISSUE

Raspberry Pi becomes Default Gateway to computers signing on to network

2 people are following

I've been having an issue lately with my Raspberry Pi becoming the default gateway when devices power up on my network.

Here's my current setup - the Raspberry Pi is a Pi2, installed into my PC using a wifi dongle. Powered off a USB2 header on my motherboard. I let my desktop running the modbro's software go to sleep regularly, but the USB header is still powered. The Pi will divert to the screensaver or the ‘setup’ mo-bro screen. Sometimes it does not recognize that the PC has fired back up and the client is running again and stays on the screensaver/setup mode.

It's when it's in this screensaver limbo state that certain devices can be assigned it's IP as a gateway. My network runs on 10.x.x.x, and the Pi will be broadcasting it's IP as both 10.0.0.xxx and 192.168.1.4. Navigating to both of these IPs will bring it to the ModBro's setup screen for the Pi. 

Example - I fire up my work laptop for the day, and I'll be assigned a standard IP address (10.x.x.x), but the gateway will be assigned as 192.168.1.4 - my work laptop will be in purgatory, unable to navigate out onto the internet until I power down the Pi and do a release/renew on the machine.

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Let me know if there's anything I can run/do if you need more info.

Replies 1 - 2 (2)

Hi @djmallon 

first off thanks for posting this issue in such detail.

I've actually already talked to another community member on discord regarding this exact problem. So I've also already had a chance to look into this issue in more detail. What's happening is basically the following:

The Raspberry Pi periodically checks whether it's still connected to the wifi network. If it looses connection, it switches back to setup mode like you mentioned and opens up the configuration hotspot again.
Now if it looses wifi connection for just a moment (or just the wifi check itself is failing once) it tries to open the hotspot despite actually still being connected to the network. This results in it being stuck in this weird state where it starts acting as a DHCP server at some point, which causes problems of course..

This issue is already on my list and will definitely be fixed in the next version.

If you're interested, we're going to change the behavior altogether, so it won't switch back to setup mode any more if it looses connection after having had a successful wifi connection previously. It will just wait until it regains connection instead.
This way we completely avoid to run into the problem you're currently facing.

Sounds great, thanks @Seraksab! I'll hop over to the discord and say hey ?

Once the image is updated, will I need to re-flash or do I SSH in and run some commands? 

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.