FEATURE REQUEST

raspberry pi wont connect via eth on new version.

7 people are following

Same as title. Last version connects via ethernet no issue.

Replies 1 - 19 (19)

That's odd, I definitely had it running a few times via ethernet when testing on my end..

Did you select ‘Ethernet’ as network mode when configuring the Pi?
Or did you initially set it up under wifi and then just connected an ethernet cable instead?

But thanks for mentioning this anyways, I'll have a look at it

Same here.  Got the Rasberry to connect with ethernet finally but won't connect to PC now.  Have tried disabling antivirus and firewall but neither worked.  Also the Rasberry wont connect via WIFI after the update.  

@JustCallmeLT 

Which Raspberry Pi model are you using?
And did you use v11.1 before and if so, did everything work in that version?

Alright, so a short update on the situation:

There is indeed a problem when connecting via Ethernet in v12.
I can also re-create the problem on my end and am currently looking into it.

The whole thing seems to be related to the use of OverlayFS, but unfortunately I haven't found the root cause or a solution yet.. :(

So as a temporary workaround for the meantime it may help if you just disable OverlayFS in the ‘Advanced configuration’ step of the wizard like shown below.

cbba9221-b642-4258-9e7f-c868fc404ba2.ee851716.png

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes I used the previous version and everything worked out great.  Will try setting Overlay to Disable. Thanks 

Update. Going thru ethernet with Overlay disabled and with IP address entered in manually I got the PI to connect with both the network and the PC.  Still wont work with wireless however.  And the model is a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. 

Thanks for the update.

It's a bit weird though, as I just tested myself with a Pi 3 B+ and in my case I could successfully connect over both Ethernet and Wifi..
But I keep having problems connecting over Ethernet with a Pi 4

I can't yet narrow down the exact cause, but I'll keep testing

JustCallmeLT

Update. Going thru ethernet with Overlay disabled and with IP address entered in manually I got the PI to connect with both the network and the PC.  Still wont work with wireless however.  And the model is a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. 

I'm currently experiencing this same issue with the same model pi. just will not connect over wifi. I've done everything on these forums and still nothing. i love this software, id hate to remove it from my pc. 

Tried the 12_1 download on a RPi 4. ETH worked without an issue, but WiFi is still a no go. Won't connect and spins up the hotspot after the timeout. Reloaded v11 and WiFi on the RPi 4 worked flawlessly.

I know the focus for this thread was ethernet, should we open a new one for the WiFi issue?

dmordan

Tried the 12_1 download on a RPi 4. ETH worked without an issue, but WiFi is still a no go. Won't connect and spins up the hotspot after the timeout. Reloaded v11 and WiFi on the RPi 4 worked flawlessly.

I know the focus for this thread was ethernet, should we open a new one for the WiFi issue?

Did you try the update that seraksab uploaded right above your post? If so did it work on wifi?

ROG Guy

Did you try the update that seraksab uploaded right above your post? If so did it work on wifi?

Yes, v12_1 is the version the google drive link points to. 

So it appears that the update seraksab posted fixes the ethernet issue but not the WiFi one.

I think his solution was intend to work on wifi and ethernet. 

@seraksab is on a well deserved holiday this week and I guess he is going to look into it again next week, just fyi. ?

yes, actually that version was supposed to work for both ethernet and wifi.. :/
but I guess that means we're at least already half way there ^^

@dmordan do you maybe happen to have a different Raspberry Pi model at hand to test on that as well?
It's a bit strange, because I've tested the new image v12.1 (the one I linked) on my Pi 4 as well as Pi 3 for both Ethernet and Wifi and in all 4 cases it worked for me.. 

Also are you trying to connect to a 2.4GHz or 5GHz wifi network?

Seraksab

yes, actually that version was supposed to work for both ethernet and wifi.. :/
but I guess that means we're at least already half way there ^^

@dmordan do you maybe happen to have a different Raspberry Pi model at hand to test on that as well?
It's a bit strange, because I've tested the new image v12.1 (the one I linked) on my Pi 4 as well as Pi 3 for both Ethernet and Wifi and in all 4 cases it worked for me.. 

Also are you trying to connect to a 2.4GHz or 5GHz wifi network?

Unfortunately I don't have a spare Pi 4 to test. It's a 4 w/8GB. Just tried a new SD card in case it was a write issue. Still experiencing the same thing. Config is applied, reboot looks good. Tries to connect to the WiFi, times out and launches the hotspot. Connecting to the hotspot shows the configuration is kept and looks correct.

I'm connecting to a Google WiFi mesh network. both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios are active and broadcasting the same SSID. I just reloaded v11 and it came up on the WiFi without issue.

@dmordan @ROG Guy 

Alright, finally an update on the wifi situation

There is a bug introduced in v12 that filters out all spaces from the configured SSID and passwords before applying them
So I highly suspect that this is also the root cause for your connection problems

I just uploaded a fixed version here
Would be awesome if any of you could test this and report back

@Seraksab 

That fixed it. I do have a space in my SSID. I have 12_2rc downloaded and it connected up right away after the initial config.

Good job finding the issue!

Glad to hear that :)

I've officially published this version as v12.2 now.
No need for you to update, as it's identical to the one I linked.

Well, actually credit for finding the issue goes to @massive_E, as he's the one that discovered that removing the spaces from his SSID fixes the wifi problem.
So I just had to locate and fix the issue in code ;)

Just tried to Install 12.3 on an RPI 3 & I'm getting the 'ethernet no dectected error. Use the FS overlay disabling option and it fired up ok.

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.