REPORT AN ISSUE

RPI Image not utilizing all available space

2 people are following

So I was doing my round of updating all my Linux boxes and I was having quite a bit of trouble from the modbro-raspberry pi. Constantly disconnecting my SSH sessions, extremely slow input lag.

I didn't check free diskspace at first. No, my first step was to create a swapfile, because the RPI was really slow and unresponsive and I thought it was having memory issues.

I couldn't even create a 1GB swapfile, because the disk was full.

Upon checking, I found this:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       2.7G  2.7G     0 100% /
devtmpfs        459M     0  459M   0% /dev
tmpfs           464M  4.2M  459M   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           464M  6.2M  457M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none             10M  196K  9.9M   2% /var/log
/dev/mmcblk0p1  253M   53M  200M  21% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1001

This not being my first RPI, I knew what to do, but it would be nice if the Modbro setup would go through this automatically.

What you need to do, is run “sudo raspi-config”, go to "Advanced Options" and select “Expand Filesystem”.

I had to do this twice in a row, because the first attempt threw an error (lack of diskspace), the 2nd time it did work.

After rebooting my RPI, the entire memorycard was finally being used (check the root size):

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        15G  3.9G   10G  28% /
devtmpfs        459M     0  459M   0% /dev
tmpfs           464M  6.2M  457M   2% /dev/shm
none             10M     0   10M   0% /run
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none             10M  200K  9.9M   2% /var/log
/dev/mmcblk0p1  253M   53M  200M  21% /boot

After this step, the performance and responsiveness improved drastically (obviously).

This can easily be automated by running a single command “raspi-config --expand-rootfs”, followed by a reboot.

Replies 1 - 3 (3)

Hi @Bobtb 

thanks for bringing this up. Totally forgot that we did shrink the image to 3GB ?
Did you install any additional software on it or did it completely fill up just by itself running MoBro?

If added this to the backlog for the next version.
We'll just expand the filesystem on the first boot like you mentioned.

I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum (Android), my bad!

To answer your question, I did not install any additional software on the RPI. It filled up all by itself.

Don't worry, it's already moved ;)

Good to know. For the next version we're going to switch to mounting the filesystem read-only to reduce wear on the SD card and avoid corruption.
So I guess this shouldn't be an issue going forward anyways.

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.