QUESTION

Starting Up

2 people are following

I have a few issues:

1. can i use a standard ST7789 1.3 inch display with this? I assume it is possible,  but i am unclear as to what driver to use, as the only ones available seem to be installed via Python
  2. how do you SSH? It says [YOUR RASPBERRY NAME] but how do i know what mine is named to? it is on a freshly flashed SD card
Replies 1 - 5 (5)

Hi @Owen Plumley 

You should be able to use any display that works with standard Raspian. You just have to install the corresponding driver, like you already noted correctly.

I don't think that the driver for this particular display is included on our image, so you have to do it manually. Just follow the guide or instructions that you got with the display. It's no problem if that requires python, you can just normally install it on our image.

Just a general note on the display though: it's only 1.5 inches, which is pretty small. Our themes are not really designed for such small displays. So unless you make changes to them yourself I'm afraid you won't be able to see or read much on that display.

Regarding SSH: you can just normally connect using the user ‘modbros’ with password ‘modbros’. And ‘[YOUR RASPBERRY IP]’ like noted in the Faq just refers to the IP address of your Pi within your network. Normally you can just check the web interface of your router to see which devices are connected and which IP adress they have been assigned.

Thanks! ive got everything installed now, including the ST7789 driver, there is backlight but no image, trying to work out if its a software or a hardware issue. 

https://github.com/pimoroni/st7789-python is what ive been using, but it doesnt seem to be working, any help will be appreciated, ill keep searching elsewhere as this issue isnt necessarily to do with this project or your hard work. 

Glad to hear you're making progress :)

I've personally never used that specific display or any similar one on my Raspberry Pis. So sadly I think I can't really help you much on this one :/

But if you manage to get it working, it would be really interesting to know how and what you had to configure. So I'd really appreciate if you could report back as I'm always keen to know what works and what doesn't or if there's maybe something on our side we can do to support more displays more easily

I've managed to get more information, but am unable to use it at this moment, lol. As i said before, ive SSHed into the Pi, and installed the ST7789 python library, i've now been told i need to find the ST7789 Directory and run setup.py. When i run “dir” on the pi, it only offers me 2 options: Display Drivers and Mobro-raspberrypi. I am unsure as to where python librarys would be stored and how to access them?

After some more digging turns out i was being a dumbass and found the st7789 directory within a few minutes

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.