DISCUSSION

Any future plans for Linux?

3 people are following

Greetings!  First, I'd like to thank your team for the work that you've put into MoBro.  The programs are quite amazing - I run the Windows app in my (Windows) PC build, using Android app on an Amazon FireHD 8 as the information display.  It works exceptionally well.  Reading your page at https://www.mod-bros.com/en/blog/b/how-to-create-a-hardware-monitor-inside-your-pc-case~37, I noticed that Linux is not currently supported.  Does your team have any plans for Linux support in the future?  Regardless, thanks again for the work you do!

Replies 1 - 5 (5)

Hi @Breaker 

First off thanks for the kind words :)

And yes there are definitely plans to support Linux at some point in the future. But the key phrase there is ‘at some point', as we actually do have lots of plans and ideas ^^
We all do this as a side project besides our day jobs and so we are pretty limited by time and have to do stuff one step at a time.

Currently we are primarily focused on adding more features to the windows application (and also the Raspberry/Android side) and fixing bugs of course.

Support for Linux will take quite some effort and time (e.g. all of the data sources we currently use on Windows are not available on Linux) and so it probably won't happen all too soon.

@Seraksab,

The kind words are well deserved!  I am sure your team has poured a lot of work into MoBro, and I understand writing software isn't exactly what most people rush home to do after they get off of work!  Families, friends, and other interests have to given time as well.

I'm glad there's an “at some point”, rather than a “probably not”. When your team does eventually find time, the good news is Linux has awesome programs like lm-sensors that may be able to help.

Thank you for the reply and again, thank you for MoBro!  

Great tool for windows OS machines.

Looking forward to see ModBros linux supported, :D.

The programs are quite amazing - I run the Windows app in my (Windows) PC build, using Android app on an Amazon FireHD 8 as the information display.  It works exceptionally well.  Reading your page at https://www.mod-bros.com/en/blog/b/how-to-create-a-hardware-monitor-inside-your-pc-case~37, I noticed that Linux is not currently supported.

@t Breaker, maybe this is a (temporary) solution …

https://funprojects.blog/tag/lm-sensors/

Hi @kris4fun 

Thanks for the kind words :)
I guess I'll take this opportunity to give you an update on the whole Linux support situation.

While we did not implement or test anything for Linux yet, we at least have quite a clear concept now on how we'll go about it as far as the whole software architecture is concerned.
That being said, the original ‘at some point’ still stands and it will still take quite some time. There are a few major topics that we already teased in a blog post recently that we will address and implement for Windows first:

• Theme customization (which we'll roll out to our Patreons for beta testing in the next days)
  • Themes & widgets support in general
  • Additional Data-Plugins
  • A properly documented SDK for developers

But the overall architecture is already designed in a way that it will work for Linux as well. We took some time to really plan how we are going to structure and build everything. So most of the stuff we are implementing or rebuilding at the moment should be portable to Linux without having to redo everything.
Now it's still gonna take some effort but it's definitely doable and won't require us to maintain two completely separate code bases.

Hi Seraksab,

Thanks for the information … really looking forward to the linux support roll out.
And also a big thank for all your team-members, for the hard work and effort.

Looking forward to the release of it.

Topic has been closed.
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.