DISCUSSION

Beta 13 issues?

2 people are following

After all the problems I had with going from v11 to v12, I should've know better haha!

I had finally gotten 12.1 and Beta 11 working right (had to disable the OverlayFS completely for pi to talk to computer). I like to stay up to date and saw 12.3 and Beta 13 and had some free time. I got a failure on 12.3 flash (same memory card that was working on 12.1) when flashed via Balena (again like I did the first time with 12.0/1 coming from 11). I was able to get Win32 to flash 12.3 no issues. So I popped that in and 12.3 with Beta 11 was working just fine. “Installed” Beta 13 via the exe but nothing actually installed, it just started running Beta 13. So I uninstalled everything via Revo, cleared files/folders/registry stuff. Deleted everything is appData, removed the Monitoring service and nothing seems to work at all. Basically I am back to ZERO install of Beta anything when I try to install 13, the Monitoring services doesnt seem to be created now. Would love to re-download Beta 11 and see if 12.3 with Beta 11 works again and happy to test Beta 13 if someone can assist. Thanks!

Windows 10 x64 – Raspi Pi 2 in 7" official screen – 16Gb Samsung Class 10 – EVERYTHING working 12.0 or 12.1 (cant exactly remember) on Beta 11. 12.3 briefly worked on Beta 11. Nothing seems to work on Beta 13.

Replies 1 - 7 (7)

Hi @HeatR216 if you have beta13 installed you should find a C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\MoBro_Local\ModBrosMonitoringService.exe. Can you try navigating to that folder with a elevated command prompt and execute “.\ModBrosMonitoringService.exe install” and then “.\ModBrosMonitoringService.exe start”? Does the service run after executing that or is there an issue when starting the service?

You can download beta11 with this url https://mod-bros.com/mobro/download?version=1.0.0-beta11 if necessary.

The service runs after a right-click for elevated rights but it opens a prompt window and doesn't go away. If I close the window, everything stops. If I leave it open, it works fine but then I have a window left open. Didn't have these issues on beta 11. Thank you for the download. I also saw your message in Discord. Much appreciated. I will happily reinstall 13 and test if you'd like or I can go back to 11 and see… let me know what I can do. Thanks!

Have you tried installing it via the elevated command line with “.\ModBrosMonitoringService.exe install”? Would like to find out if there is an issue with installing the service. Start seems to work, if right clicking the exe and leaving the window open works.

So some updates...

TL;DR - 12.3 (overlayFS off) works with Beta 13 (had to use Win32 Disk Imager, unsure why Balena still fails)

I reinstalled Beta 11 to my computer. Flashed 12.3 to the Pi. Nothing worked. Ran the commands you mentioned above (was able to close the cmd window) and everything worked - 12.3+B11 (even after reboot)

• So trying a reinstall of 11 did not fix all my problems like I thought it would. BUT I did have to manually delete the service on uninstall for 11/13 back before I reached out on this forum post. Unsure if [sc delete "Modbros  Monitoring"] that I had to run via elevated cmd made any issue with the reinstall.

With everything working, I decided to try Beta13. Installed, had to rerun the commands but was able to close the window after and reboots work just fine. 

Not sure why newer installs of 11/13 needed those commands to get the service to start appropriately but it seems to be ok now for all things. 

SO end of the day, I'm good :-) those commands were crucial and I appreciate your help. 

Things of note: 

- Had to right-click install all versions with admin rights. This creates two folders; Mobro and Mobro_Local. Commands were only run in Mobro_Local.

- Double clicking the install would never prompt UAC on its own. But even after run commands in elevated cmd on non-admin install, the service would not run. Unsure why it wouldn't work. Unsure why I was never prompted for UAC. 

- Firewall was completely reset to defaults to ensure good start. Rules were added on first run of 11 and then again on 13 via the prompt window that the OS gave me. No custom firewall tweaking was necessary nor has it ever been for me. 

-12.1 and 2 and 3 have always needed OverlayFS off to work. They will boot and show "no connection detected" when connected via ethernet but could easily see in DHCP lease list and accessed with said IP address via Chrome and set up (via wizard) just fine, even while screen said no connection error. Once setup is run (configured for my timezones, country, screensaver, etc., With OverlayFS on) same error on screen. Moment OverlayFS is turned off (and no other config nor physical changes) the Pi would connect just fine. 

- Static IP on pi/other clients to link to MoBro server has never been needed. Setting static IP for server call did not fix connection with OverlayFS on. 

- All settings related to OverlayFS (and the need to be off to work) was seen across a Pi2 and Pi3B+. No testing has been done on Pi4 or any other version of Pis. 

- No overclocking is needed on my Pi2 to work perfectly. 

Hi @HeatR216 thats weird, seems like the install commands won't work when running the app. Usually MoBro tries to run the necessary commands by itself and asks for admin rights when doing so. If you don't click “No” it should also be able to install the service by itself.

Is there anything in the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\MoBro_Local\error.log files?

@Dave , only errors in directory listed started on the 22nd of Dec (after install) and repeatedly show:

{"message":"Could not check for updates.certificate has expired","stack":"Error: certificate has expired\n    at TLSSocket.onConnectSecure (_tls_wrap.js:1321:34)\n    at TLSSocket.emit (events.js:210:5)\n    at TLSSocket._finishInit (_tls_wrap.js:794:8)\n    at TLSWrap.ssl.onhandshakedone (_tls_wrap.js:608:12)","config":{"url":"https://www.mod-bros.com/api/mobro/update","method":"get","headers":{"Accept":"application/json, text/plain, */*","User-Agent":"axios/0.21.1"},"params":{"version":"1.0.0-beta13"},"transformRequest":[null],"transformResponse":[null],"timeout":0,"xsrfCookieName":"XSRF-TOKEN","xsrfHeaderName":"X-XSRF-TOKEN","maxContentLength":-1,"maxBodyLength":-1},"code":"CERT_HAS_EXPIRED"}

{"message":"Could not fetch sensor data","level":"error"}

Hi @HeatR216, hmm that issue is not really relevant. Then I really don't know why the app is not able to install the service using the same commands that you execute from the command line, except if you don't give it any elevated rights, when it tries to install the service.

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.