REPORT AN ISSUE

Can undervolatage cause problems ?

2 people are following

Hello everyone,

today i got my first Raspbarry Pi 3 B+ with the MPI3508 HDMI display. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong charger and so I used an old smartphone charger. Accordingly the LED for undervoltage lights up.

My problem is that the RPI connects to the network and supposedly finds the Windows program, but then only shows a black or white screen. No connected devices are displayed in the Windows program.
After a while it starts to search for the Windows program again without success.

When I try it with my smartphone, I have no problems.

Since I did the setup like the tutorials, my question is whether it could be the charger ?

Best regards,

Christian

Replies 1 - 3 (3)

Hi @Radon 

unfortunately that's really hard to answer.
Undervoltage on a Raspberry Pi can definitely cause some problems but it doesn't necessarily have to. It really depends on what charger you are using (like what voltage and max. amperage it's rated for) and what's running on the Pi.

Given your description that everything works fine until the Pi connects to the Windows PC it could be indeed a power issue, but I really can't tell for sure.
As right when the PC is detected the Pi has to start chromium, which is quite a heavy CPU load for a few seconds and therefore the power requirements are a bit higher.

Are you able to test with a different more potent charger?

Hi @Seraksab ,

good news. Today the offical charger that i ordered came and now it works fine !

Glad to hear it's working for you now :)

And also good to know that the issue was indeed only related to the charger.
If you run into any other issue feel free to ask again.

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.