QUESTION

Changing bootup screens to match theme

posted by
joshrep
in Themes .
3 people are following

I guess this could also maybe be a feature request. So i just got my hardware monitor working on a laptop for testing purposes, and even used some other help here on the forum to change the fallout theme colors to match my upcoming build. I had one question: So i plan on having the Rpi hooked up to power via a microUSB to 5 pin power header on the mobo. When the computer powers down, so will the Rpi and screen. When it reboots again, theres the long list of loading screens and whatnot before the theme finally loads. I understand you cant just get rid of them completely, but is there any possible way to change the loading screens to match the theme set in the desktop app for the device(maybe remember what it was last at), or even just keep the screen turned off until the Rpi is connected and ready to go? I just feel like it would add to the visuals to not see those loading screens, however i know that they are necessary. Dunno if this is possible to configure simply (i dont know much html), or could be a future feature? Just sharing thoughts!

Replies 1 - 4 (4)

Hi @joshrep 

i guess with the loading screen you are referring to both the initial boot text from the Raspberry Pi OS itself and also our MoBro splash screen.

So regarding the boot text:
Yes this could be disabled completely in config so that the display would basically just stay black in this phase.
But you can't really style this or display a custom loading screen here as this is basically the OS itself starting up and so you don't have control over this.
You could for example check out this guide here on how to do this.
Note though that removing these messages can hinder troubleshooting later on because this will of course also hide all error messages.

Regarding our own splash screen:
Yes those could easily be altered. They are basically just simple images that are displayed.
You can check them out here on Github. On your Pi they are located under /home/modbros/mobro-raspberry/resources
Feel free to modify them to your liking :)

But yeah this would also make for a good feature if we could just add these settings to the regular configuration process. I've added it to our list ;)

Sounds great, I'll be sure to check that out. Thank you!

Hi there, I tried to replace the images via SSH here /home/modbros/mobro-raspberry/resources

After changing the file permission it seemed to have worked. When downloading the files they where the new ones.

But after restarting they where the old images again :/
Did I miss something there?

Hi @Nils 

Starting with v12 of our image we started using OverlayFS.
You can read up a bit on the benefits and why we use it in our announcement here

This also means that making custom changes to our image now requires an extra step for them to actually be persistent.
You can have a look at our guide over here, where we outlined the new required additional steps based on the example of installing a custom display driver.

If you wish to not use OverlayFS at all, you can of course just disable it in the ‘Advanced customization’ step of the config wizard.
Also when logging in via SSH you should have actually been shown a warning text explaining the OverlayFS situation.

Hope that helps :)

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.