FEATURE REQUEST

Feature Request / How to turn off screen at scheduled times?

2 people are following

I'm trying to figure out a way to turn the HDMI screen off at set times, the reason is my screen is still pretty bright even through the tinted glass of my case, and I want to be able to turn it off easily when I go to sleep.

I did try the steps detailed here:

https://www.screenly.io/blog/2017/07/02/how-to-automatically-turn-off-and-on-your-monitor-from-your-raspberry-pi/

But none of them worked. I only get "VCHI initialization failed" when trying the commands. I did try “sudo usermod -aG video modbros” but that didn't work either.

Is this possible to get working?

Replies 1 - 5 (5)

Hi @TheBasedDoge

Just turning off the Raspberry Pi as a whole instead of only the screen is not an option for you?

Also, after executing “sudo usermod -aG video modbros”, did you log out and in again before trying the commands again?

Seraksab

Hi @TheBasedDoge

Just turning off the Raspberry Pi as a whole instead of only the screen is not an option for you?

Also, after executing “sudo usermod -aG video modbros”, did you log out and in again before trying the commands again?

Well, sure that would be an option. But how do I automatically turn it back on in the morning? I want it to all be automated.

I did logout, i actually rebooted too but nothing happened. 

Are you already using v12 of the image?
If yes, did you also disable OverlayFS before adding the ‘modbros’ user to the ‘video’ group? 

Because if you didn't, that change will be gone once you reboot.

Other than that its really hard to help. Because turning off just the display is highly dependent on which display is used and therefore there is no easy solution that just works for all cases.

Yes I am using v12. I did disable overlayFS, but I didn't really see a change.

Is there a simple way to turn the whole pi and on off on a schedule? shutting it off automatically should be easy, but not sure how to turn it back on.

Well yes, turning it off on a schedule should be doable pretty easily via a script.

But you can't really turn it back on from software after it's been shutdown. 
You need to power cycle it at that point.

If you really want to automatically turn it on and off on fixed schedule I guess you could go with a simple outlet timer.
That would basically just cut the power to the Pi on a fixed time.

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.