QUESTION

Pi is connecting to the application, but not vice versa.

4 people are following

First of all, I love what you guys have done here.  This project is exactly what I had in mind but I don't have the technical knowledge required to make it happen.  And the fact that you're continuing to update and engage with your community is even more reason for support.  Thanks Bros!

So I finally got my Raspberry Pi to connect to the ModBros desktop app.  The new update with the Inbound Rule fixed the issues I was having.  However the Pi does not show up under the connected devices tab in the app.  When I open an instance of the the mobro image in a browser, it shows up on the app and I am able to change themes and configure the device.  But all the Pi is showing is the default background with nothing on it.  Could the SD image be corrupt? 

Replies 1 - 9 (9)

Hi McMack

Thanks a lot for the kind word.
It definitely keeps us motivated to hear that people actually appreciate and use our project :)

Regarding your issue: This sounds rather strange, as i personally never encountered such behaviour while testing.

So your Pi does successfully connect to Wifi and is also able to locate your PC, right?
What exactly does it display afterwards?
Like, does it actually open the default theme and do you see stats?

And which version of the Raspberry Pi image are you currently using?

After i fixed the wifi issue for me this is happening as well.

After successfully connecting the Pi to my home network, and locating the desktop app, the image displayed on the Pi's monitor is just the foggy trees background.  There is no stats or gui at all.  

The image I am using is mobro_v8.7z

Initially, the Pi was unable to connect to the desktop app, but the Inbound Rule that you rolled out with the new update fixed that issue.  Now, after it connects to the app, it loads the background but nothing else.  If I use the "Open In Browser" button on the "Devices" tab of the app, I am able to configure the virtual "device" (running on my desktop browser) with Themes and whatnot.  However, the Pi still shows just the foggy trees with no sign of an overlay.

Well that's actually pretty weird..

Could you turn off your windows firewall just for a few minutes and restart the Pi to see if it works then?
So we can check if we may still have a connection issue that wasn't solved by the inbound rule we added.

Also you are running Windows 10, right?

Oh, and don't forget to turn your firewall back on after testing ;)

Yeah I'm running Windows 10.  After doing some digging and even reformatting and reflashing the SD I was able to get the app to detect the Pi running MoBro.  The ModBros logo was being displayed over the foggy trees and after saving the configuration to defaults it wasn't loading any stats (about 5 minutes there).  I changed the theme to dubbadhar and it took a couple seconds to pull up all the stats.  Same thing with the fallout theme.  I love the lines of code that run as the PipBoy is turning on!  

All was going well until I tried to switch back to the default theme.  The Pi disappeared from the devices tab in the desktop app and I got a black screen for about 20 minutes until I decided to shut it down and reboot.  Now I'm back to square one with the default background showing but nothing else.  No ModBros logo and no devices showing on the app.  

I must be doing something wrong here.  But I can't figure out what would have changed to make it stop working. 

McMack blog.reply.wrote:

Yeah I'm running Windows 10.  After doing some digging and even reformatting and reflashing the SD I was able to get the app to detect the Pi running MoBro.  The ModBros logo was being displayed over the foggy trees and after saving the configuration to defaults it wasn't loading any stats (about 5 minutes there).  I changed the theme to dubbadhar and it took a couple seconds to pull up all the stats.  Same thing with the fallout theme.  I love the lines of code that run as the PipBoy is turning on!  

All was going well until I tried to switch back to the default theme.  The Pi disappeared from the devices tab in the desktop app and I got a black screen for about 20 minutes until I decided to shut it down and reboot.  Now I'm back to square one with the default background showing but nothing else.  No ModBros logo and no devices showing on the app.  

I must be doing something wrong here.  But I can't figure out what would have changed to make it stop working. 

Hey McMack,

could you please try opening this route on your PC running MoBro: http://localhost:42001/api/hardware/data

If it shows up a JSON text we'll have to dig deeper, if you receive an error page than that is the issue. If you get an error page could you please post the error stack from the page here?

Thanks ~ Dave

All seems to be well here.

Hey @McMack,

very interesting behaviour. So your Pi is working fine with the dubbadhar and the fallout theme and is pulling data as well as showing up under devices? But once you switch to the default theme it will only show a black screen?

Which version of the app do you have installed? Have you tried updating to 1.0.0-beta2 which we launched this week?

If you want to force another theme for your Pi, you can edit the devices.json file in

C:\xxx\AppData\Local\Mobro_Local\devices.json

There should be your Pi in it with the theme set to default or null, just change the value to “fallout” or “dubbadhar” before turning on your Pi.

But please try updating to 1.0.0-beta2, maybe that solves your issue.

~ Dave

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.