DISCUSSION

Troubles with GPIO display

2 people are following

Het guys. I'm having some troubles with My Joy-IT 3,5" touch display connected via GPIO.

It works as intended with Joy-IT's own raspian image bot not when configuring it manually as their manual states.

Have anyone of you guys any experience with THE Joy-IT displays?

Replies 1 - 7 (7)

Hi @Holmen

So you manually installed the display on our custom image.
Did you follow all the steps that are mentioned under ‘Manual Installation’ in the PDF guide you linked?

If yes, what exactly does not work?
Do you have an image or is the screen just blank?
Also which Raspberry Pi model are you using?

Yes, i followed ‘Manual Installation’.

The screen does not seem to be properly installed since it's still just white. But when trying their pre-configured image the screen works so it's not a hardware failure.

Im running this on a rPi Zero WH

Today i'll try i NOOBS image and try your guide on adding mobros to that.

After heavy trial and error the display now works. I compared the config files from their raspberry pi os and modified my settings a little.

Sadly now it seems that xserver wont start. I cant see the CLI boot up screen on can log in in another session (CTRL-ALT-F2 ex.) but when trying to switch to the graphical desktop (CTRL-ALT-F7) i just see a blinking cursor.

Nothing happens when trying manually to start x.

EDIT: I works as intended over hdmi so it seems to be screen related.

cat /boot/config.txt

# Rasperry Configuration

[pi0w]
initial_turbo=30

[all]
gpu_mem=64
temp_limit=75
start_x=0
dtoverlay=disable-bt
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_drive=1
hdmi_mode=4

dtparam=audio=on
dtparam=spi=on
dtoverlay=joy-IT-Display_Driver35a-overlay:rotate=270
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# Settings for 800x600
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt=800 600 60 1 0 0 0
cat /boot/cmdline.txt
console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=738a4d67-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait consoleblank=0 fbcon=map:10

Update:

Got it working! Forgot a change in this file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

Nice, glad to hear it's working now for you!

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.