QUESTION

VNC Viewer

3 people are following

Hi, is it possible to launch the terminal on the pi after booting it with the mobros img so I can enable VNC viewer for a headless video output? 

Replies 1 - 6 (6)

Hi @Insulin 

sure, the easiest way to access the terminal would be to just login over SSH, which is enabled by default
user: modbros, pw: modbros

just note that there is no desktop environment installed on our image, so you would have to take care of that yourself

Thanks for your reply @Seraksab ! Would I need a desktop environment present or would I be able to turn on VNC Viewer via the terminal in SSH and then connect via the Pi’s IP address?

If not, could you point me towards any resources I could read to set up a desktop environment on your image?

Well I don't really see the point in using VNC without a desktop environment.
If you don't need one and all you want is a console, then surely SSH should be all you need.

What are you trying to accomplish in general?

Because if you want to use the Raspberry Pi for other things as well that require a desktop environment, you could also just flash the official Raspberry Pi OS. And then just use MoBro in a browser window like we explain here.

In general, I’m trying to use an iPad as my output video for my raspberry pi since I do not have a small LCD screen to hook up to the pi. So as a way of getting around that I thought I could use VNC viewer/server on the pi/iPad to project the video output to the iPad while still using the MoBros program and only that program 

Ah, is see. Well in that case you actually wouldn't need a Raspberry Pi at all.

Just connect your iPad to your Wifi network (the same network your PC is connected to).
Check for your PCs IP address within your network.
Open a browser on the iPad and type in the address: http://[PC_IP_ADDRESS]:42100?uuid=someId&name=iPad

The iPad should then be shown under the ‘connected devices’ tab in the MoBro desktop application.
You can then change and customize themes from there like you would with your Raspberry Pi.

Seraksab

Ah, is see. Well in that case you actually wouldn't need a Raspberry Pi at all.

Just connect your iPad to your Wifi network (the same network your PC is connected to).
Check for your PCs IP address within your network.
Open a browser on the iPad and type in the address: http://[PC_IP_ADDRESS]:42100?uuid=someId&name=iPad

The iPad should then be shown under the ‘connected devices’ tab in the MoBro desktop application.
You can then change and customize themes from there like you would with your Raspberry Pi.

Tried this on my ipad, while the dash does appear in modbros, it says it's screen size is 0x0, any way to override size?

tried it on my laptop as a test, and it worked fine, reported back browser window resolution

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.