QUESTION

Zero 2 USB connection and RNDIS driver nightmares

2 people are following

Hi

Just yesterday I picked up my first RPi and a screen, managed to install the image and configure it for wifi communication just fine, and I'm having a blast customizing the dubbadhar theme to my liking, though in the future I'd like to switch to purely USB communication due to network performance and instability issues out of my control (trashy ISP provided router)

Unfortunately just like in this thread https://www.mod-bros.com/en/forum/t/solved-usb-network-shows-as-com-with-rpi-zero-1.3~2993 the Pi shows up as a COM device, and while the linked driver does technically work, it ends up using RNDIS 5.1, which causes serious lag and performance issues in the Windows (10/11) Network and sharing center, task manager, and just about any performance monitoring app that shows network speeds - you can find more about this issue if you look up “windows usb tethering lag”, which appears to use the same technology.

While the tethering can be fixed by manually installing a RNDIS 6 driver, I couldn't manage to do it for the Pi (even caused a kernel security violation BSOD…), though after hours of googling I found this https://jon.sprig.gs/blog/post/2243, more specifically everything after the “Works on Windows… and probably everything else…” part, which seems like it would make the Pi report as a RNDIS 6-capable device from the start.

That being said, I have zero Linux experience and I'm not even sure what I'm looking at - could anything from that blog post be done as a user, or would you guys need to implement it in the OS on your end?

Edit: in the meantime, I got annoyed with the screen being too bright and not having any way to control that, so I managed to find the trace leading to the backlight, cut it, and soldered in a potentiometer

Replies 1 - 1 (1)

Hi @Redline 

I wasn't even aware of these performance issues in windows and the differences between RNDIS 5.1 and 6
Thanks for bringing this up!

But I will have to take a closer look at the blog post you linked and do a bit of testing myself to see whether it works out..

Login to comment

Login
Like most websites, we also use cookies. But don't worry, we only use them for your login and statistics.